Company Holiday Schedule
In order to make sure our office closing schedule is easy to find we’ve posted it on our website. Here you can find Stone Oak's holiday closing schedule. We will be closed on these dates and will return calls, texts, and emails when we return.
Beware of Scams - They're Everywhere!
We just want to remind you that we will never call you to ask for your bank info, social security number, or other personal information on the phone or by email. We will also never ask you to pay for anything with gift cards, cryptocurrency, etc. All of our emails will come from our domain, www.stoneoakmgmt.com, or through our software as a long string of letters/numbers from the domain @stoneoak.mailer.appfolio.us. Our property management software also includes a texting service that will not match our office number, but if you try to call that number it will go directly to our main office phone line. Please stay vigilant, maintain a healthy amount of skepticism, and contact us directly with the number on our website or our direct emails if anything looks or sounds questionable.
If you have a lockbox on your door or somewhere on the property please call the office rather than submitting a maintenance request so we can arrange to have it removed. Once you report it we will have someone out within a week or sooner to stop by and grab it. You do not need to be home, and just be aware that someone will come by to get it. If the lockbox is somehow inside the home then let us know so we can arrange to meet with you or have it left outside when we are going to come by.
Summer Leasing and Renewals
If you have a lease coming up for renewal and are interested in getting it taken care of sooner than later please contact our office so we can get that done. This is our busy season and getting things done ahead of time allows us time to communicate with you effectively. If you are planning on moving out at the end of your lease we’d appreciate it if you’d give us formal notice as soon as possible so we can plan accordingly.
Improving Your A/C Performance as We Enter Summer
Spring is the ideal time to invest a few minutes in improving the efficiency of your air conditioner to prepare it for our hot summer. Cleaning the condenser coil [outside unit] improves the overall performance of your AC. If your coil is dirty, heat gets trapped inside and can’t be effectively released when it is covered with dirt and debris. This will lead to inefficient cooling and increased energy consumption. The more efficient your AC is, the more comfortable your indoor environment will be.
Below is a short video showing how simple it is to clean coils on your A/C unit. Never use a pressure washer to clean your coils.
You can review summer expectations for HVAC systems in Austin, Texas on our website.
Signs of Maintenance Issues
Per the signs of wind damage above there are also signs to look out for inside the home to prevent larger issues. Some things to look out for:
The smell of gas - this is an emergency and should not be taken lightly. Anytime you smell gas contact your gas provider or call 911 for the fire department and leave the home until it is cleared by a professional
Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors going off - if these sound the alarm this is an emergency and you should immediately exit the home. Contact 911 for the fire department so they can determine if there is a CO leak
New water spots on ceilings or walls - never stand, sit, or sleep under water-logged drywall as it can collapse under the weight of the water
Water in the pan under the water heater
Water dripping from the exterior overflow for the water heater or HVAC. This will usually be a piece of PVC piping sticking out of a wall or roof overhang and will drip steadily if there is an issue
Water damage to the bottom of cabinets
Toilets gurgle when flushed
Standing or pooling water in the yard that does not dry out
Make sure to always use the exhaust fan in the bathroom to prevent the humidity from showers/baths from accumulating on the walls and causing mildew. Leave the ventilation until the humidity in the home has normalized relative to the home
HOA Fines and Amenity Access
It’s that time of year again where everything is growing and needs maintenance. This is also the time of year where we see the most HOA violation notices related to landscape maintenance. Make sure you are familiar with the HOA rules and regulations and keep up with their requirements to avoid fines.
If you want access to your community’s amenities please contact your property manager or call our office so we can work with you to get access.
Nature Is Bringing Two Spectacular Shows to Central Texas!
In October 2023 and April 2024 there will be two solar events that aren’t to be missed. If you’ve never witnessed a solar eclipse then you should certainly make it a point to try to catch one, if not both of these.
In October there will be an annular solar eclipse, which is where the moon is slightly smaller than the sun thus creating a “ring of fire” at the peak of the event. This link provides more info about the October event along with a map of the path. In April 2024 there will be a full solar eclipse, and here is a link to the event info and path. If you’re going to try to watch one or both of these then we strongly suggest going to a location as close to the center of the path as possible to enjoy the best, and longest view. Make sure to track weather around that time to see where the best place to go will be for clear skies. Here is another link to some info about these events, and there is a lot of info out there as Central Texas gears up for these.
Both of these events will have peak viewing near Austin as long as the weather cooperates but the path is very long for both of them if you’re in a different part of the US. Over the next several months we’ll be providing solar eclipse viewing glasses to all new tenants as part of their move in welcome gift, and we’re making them available for pickup to our current tenants and clients. If you’re interested in getting some glasses please check in with your property manager so we can arrange for you to pick some up.
Thank you for being a resident of a Stone Oak rental property! Please don't hesitate to contact our staff if we can help with anything.
Routine Maintenance Reminders
- Maintenance Requests: We still receive a lot of maintenance requests that state something vague like "washer" or "AC" without any other info about the actual issue. We cannot act on requests like this and will require that you provide more info, so any request like this will only delay a resolution to the issue. Make sure you provide as much info as possible in your request including pics if possible.
- Maintenance Portal: Please make a list of any items you want to submit, and then list all issues together as one request including as much info as possible and attach photos if applicable. We will then evaluate whether they should be split up or not.
- Smoke and CO Alarms: As a reminder don't ever unplug and remove smoke detectors because they are beeping. Change the batteries and if that doesn't work please notify us. We find a lot of tenants unplug them and bury them in a closet or drawer instead of replacing batteries.
- A/C Filters: Make sure to check and change every month or as required by the type of filter. If any HVAC systems in your home have a reusable filter you are still required to clean them periodically, so please make sure they are kept clean.
- Toilets: "Flushable" Wipes CANNOT be flushed. Do not put anything down the drain except water, human waste, and regular toilet paper. Food, toys, feminine products, wipes, towels, wrappers, condoms, and other objects do not break apart and go down the drain. Clogs of the plumbing system may be charged back to you, so it is best to avoid this by not putting anything down any of the drains aside from water and human waste.
- Disposal Systems: This includes using the sink disposal as a garbage chute. These appliances are not meant to dispose of large quantities of food and should only be used as a last resort after all food items are scraped off dishes into a compost bin or trash can.
- Drainage: Shower, bath, and sink drains can get clogged up over time with hair and other organic matter. Do not use Draino-type products as they are extremely acidic and will do more harm than good by damaging the pipes while usually failing to fix the drainage issue. The best way to address this is to use a disposable drain snake that can be obtained from any hardware store for a couple of dollars. Please note that if we send out a vendor for this and it turns out to be this very issue you may be charged back for the cost. Here is a video on how to use those - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOb4MJ6widg
- Emergency Maintenance: this extension should not be called unless you have an issue involving Flood, Blood, or Fire. Do not call the emergency line to follow up on existing work orders or submit a new request that is not an emergency. In case of an emergency call 911 if needed and then contact us after everyone is safe. Remember that we do not monitor emails after hours, so if you submit something considered an emergency online and do not call we may not know until the next business day.
Other Maintenance Notes:
If you'd like to inquire about, or update an existing request, submit the form at stoneoakmgmt.com/maintenance or call 512-617-6766 ext-5.
Maintenance time frames continue to be extended due to the pandemic. Please allow at least 5 business days before requesting an update from our team unless it is an emergency.
For basic DIY tips and tricks to solve some issues quickly, visit our DIY rental property maintenance page.
Your Tenant Portal & Electronic Statements
The system will generate a statement even if you're moving out, so there is no need to contact us if you receive this and are moving. All charges, including any prorated rent, will be adjusted as needed when the deposit is processed.
If you are not using the portal app that keeps you logged in please take a look at the linked flyer for more info. This can eliminate forgotten passwords, and help with easy updates/access to maintenance requests and all other account details.
AppFolio Tenant Portal Information