Please note that this is general information and is not directed at anyone specifically. Some items will apply broadly and others may not apply based on individual circumstances.
Preleasing Your Property When You Decide to Vacate
The past 14 months have, undoubtedly, been some of the most life-changing months we’ve seen in modern times. To accommodate this we temporarily suspended the marketing of occupied properties. With vaccinations being more readily available, we are looking to the future and returning to business as usual thus effective June 1, 2021, we will resume pre-leasing and marketing occupied properties. When your lease is expiring and the move-out process has begun then Sunroom or the referring agent will be contacting you to arrange for photos, place a lockbox and arrange showings. This process will start about 30-45 days before the end of your lease.
Winter Storm Landscape Maintenance
The aftermath of the storm still lingers in the form of dead landscaping that a lot of HOAs are now sending out violation notices on. If you have dead/damaged landscaping in your yard and your lease requires you to maintain the yard then it is in your best interest to address this as soon as possible. Most HOAs require the dead plants to be replaced with similar or identical plants that will need watering and maintenance until they are established. Some HOAs have lists of acceptable landscape plants that you can contact them about directly to determine what will get the property into compliance.
Summer A/C Expectations
In the near future, you’ll receive an email from us about what to expect from your A/C when we hit the warmer months of the year. It is important to understand that cooling between 15-20 degrees below the outside temp is the normal operation of most HVACs. If you think your A/C is not working then first check to make sure the fan setting is set to Auto (do not use the Fan On setting), and if the system is cycling on/off with cool air coming out of the vents then it is performing as it should be. If the overall temp near the thermostat is not staying about 15 degrees cooler than outside we can have the system checked, but keep in mind if nothing is found wrong with the system you may be charged back for an unnecessary A/C service call.
Typically, we do not send out A/C vendors unless the system has an obvious mechanical issue. Please note that the lease requires all maintenance to go through management, so do not have the system serviced yourself. Finally, if you put in a request for your A/C be very specific about what you are reporting as a vague statement like “a/c not working” will only delay our ability to address your maintenance request.
We have kept these turned off for almost a year, and when we do turn them back on it will have been more than 12 months without late fees. As of May 1st, our system will start charging late fees again based on what is in your lease.
Renewing Your Lease
If your lease is coming up for renewal or you'd like to discuss that in advance please email email@example.com. The sooner we can get these processed the better; even if your lease doesn't come up for several months.
Routine Maintenance Reminder
- Maintenance Requests: We still receive a lot of maintenance requests that state something vague like "washer" or "AC" without any other info about the actual issue. We cannot act on requests like this and will require that you provide more info, so any request like this will only delay a resolution to the issue. Make sure you provide as much info as possible in your request including pics if possible.
- Maintenance Portal: Please make a list of any items you want to submit, and then list all issues together as one request including as much info as possible and attach photos if applicable. We will then evaluate whether they should be split up or not.
- Smoke and CO Alarms: As a reminder don't ever unplug and remove smoke detectors because they are beeping. Change the batteries and if that doesn't work please notify us. We find a lot of tenants unplug them and bury them in a closet or drawer instead of replacing batteries.
- A/C Filters: Make sure to check and change every month or as required by the type of filter. If any HVAC systems in your home have a reusable filter you are still required to clean them periodically, so please make sure they are kept clean.
- Toilets: "Flushable" Wipes CANNOT be flushed. Do not put anything down the drains except water, human waste and regular toilet paper. Food, toys, feminine products, wipes, towels, wrappers, condoms, and other objects do not break apart and go down the drain. Clogs of the plumbing system may be charged back to you, so it is best to avoid this by not putting anything down any of the drains aside from water and human waste.
- Disposal Systems: This includes using the sink disposal as a garbage chute. These appliances are not meant to dispose of large quantities of food and should only be used as a last resort after all food items are scraped off dishes into a compost bin or trash can.
- Drainage: Shower, bath, and sink drains can get clogged up over time with hair and other organic matter. Do not use Draino-type products as they are extremely acidic and will do more harm than good by damaging the pipes while usually failing to fix the drainage issue. The best way to address this is to use a disposable drain snake that can be obtained from any hardware store for a couple of dollars. Please note that if we send out a vendor for this and it turns out to be this very issue you may be charged back for the cost. Here is a video on how to use those - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOb4MJ6widg
- Emergency Maintenance: this extension should not be called unless you have an issue involving Flood, Blood, or Fire. Do not call the emergency line to follow up on existing work orders or submit a new request that is not an emergency. In case of an emergency call 911 if needed and then contact us after everyone is safe. Remember that we do not monitor emails after hours, so if you submit something considered an emergency online and do not call we may not know until the next business day.
Other Maintenance Notes:
- If you'd like to inquire about or update an existing request submit the form at stoneoakmgmt.com/maintenance or call 512-617-6766 ext-5.
- Maintenance time frames continue to be extended due to the pandemic. Please allow at least 5 business days before requesting an update from our team unless it is an emergency.
- For basic DIY tips and tricks to solve some issues quickly, visit our DIY rental property maintenance page.
Your Tenant Portal & Electronic Statements
The system will generate a statement even if you're moving out, so there is no need to contact us if you receive this and are moving. All charges, including any prorated rent, will be adjusted as needed when the deposit is processed.
If you are not using the portal app that keeps you logged in please take a look at the linked flyer for more info. This can eliminate forgotten passwords, and help with easy updates/access to maintenance requests and all other account details.
AppFolio Tenant Portal Information
Thank you for being a resident of a Stone Oak rental property! Please don't hesitate to contact our staff if we can help with anything.