Holiday Season Wrap Up
Now that the season is coming to an end, what do you do with your tree and/or lights that aren’t going to be kept? There are many programs available to recycle these items and availability will depend on your location or willingness to make a short trip. Below are some links to two programs for lights and trees.
The City of Georgetown will recycle string lights and there may be programs in your location that you can likely find with a quick search. Last year the City of Georgetown alone recycled more than 4,800 pounds of lights per their website.
The City of Austin has a holiday tree recycling program that allows you to put the tree out on the curb on your composting collection day. Their website also lists several drop-off locations around the Austin area.
Cold Weather Reminder
We just had our first major freeze over the weekend and we’re still in the dead of winter so not out of the woods. We will likely get another freeze before the spring so make sure to keep the tips in our previous post handy. Here is a link to the post that discusses freeze preparation and some info on fireplaces.
If you believe your pipes froze during the cold snap and haven’t turned your water back on yet you must do it in a controlled manner. Please refer to the instructions sent out on Monday, 12/26/22, regarding a controlled water restart procedure.
NEVER USE A FIREPLACE WITHOUT CONFIRMING IT IS SAFE AND READY TO USE!
As fireplaces are generally considered cosmetic in nature, and not the primary heat source for your home, any cleaning or inspections are the responsibility of the resident. It is your responsibility to have the fireplace inspected if you intend to use it. If your home has a fireplace and you hire someone to clean and inspect the fireplace make sure they are insured and check online reviews to confirm they have a solid reputation. If the fireplace is deemed unsafe to use for reasons other than cleaning, let us know and we will further evaluate your request but may not necessarily perform repairs.
Resident Benefits Package HVAC Filters Update
We mentioned in a previous post that we’re working on improving the benefits and can now give you some good news. Effective 1/1/2023 tenants who are receiving AC filters every other month will get them monthly with no change in the program cost to tenants or property owners. Tenants who are receiving filters only 4x per year can switch over to the monthly schedule at a minimal increase of $4.05/month if you have proof of renter’s insurance, or $15.00/month if you don’t have the required renter’s insurance. The higher cost option does include renter’s insurance benefits for which details can be found on the Tenant Resources page of our website, or by going to the benefits program FAQ. You can also contact the property manager to get more info or request that we update your benefits enrollment to get the additional filters and/or renter’s insurance..
Thank you for being a resident of a Stone Oak rental property! Please don't hesitate to contact our staff if we can help with anything.
Routine Maintenance Reminders
- Maintenance Requests: We still receive a lot of maintenance requests that state something vague like "washer" or "AC" without any other info about the actual issue. We cannot act on requests like this and will require that you provide more info, so any request like this will only delay a resolution to the issue. Make sure you provide as much info as possible in your request including pics if possible.
- Maintenance Portal: Please make a list of any items you want to submit, and then list all issues together as one request including as much info as possible and attach photos if applicable. We will then evaluate whether they should be split up or not.
- Smoke and CO Alarms: As a reminder don't ever unplug and remove smoke detectors because they are beeping. Change the batteries and if that doesn't work please notify us. We find a lot of tenants unplug them and bury them in a closet or drawer instead of replacing batteries.
- A/C Filters: Make sure to check and change every month or as required by the type of filter. If any HVAC systems in your home have a reusable filter you are still required to clean them periodically, so please make sure they are kept clean.
- Toilets: "Flushable" Wipes CANNOT be flushed. Do not put anything down the drain except water, human waste, and regular toilet paper. Food, toys, feminine products, wipes, towels, wrappers, condoms, and other objects do not break apart and go down the drain. Clogs of the plumbing system may be charged back to you, so it is best to avoid this by not putting anything down any of the drains aside from water and human waste.
- Disposal Systems: This includes using the sink disposal as a garbage chute. These appliances are not meant to dispose of large quantities of food and should only be used as a last resort after all food items are scraped off dishes into a compost bin or trash can.
- Drainage: Shower, bath, and sink drains can get clogged up over time with hair and other organic matter. Do not use Draino-type products as they are extremely acidic and will do more harm than good by damaging the pipes while usually failing to fix the drainage issue. The best way to address this is to use a disposable drain snake that can be obtained from any hardware store for a couple of dollars. Please note that if we send out a vendor for this and it turns out to be this very issue you may be charged back for the cost. Here is a video on how to use those - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOb4MJ6widg
- Emergency Maintenance: this extension should not be called unless you have an issue involving Flood, Blood, or Fire. Do not call the emergency line to follow up on existing work orders or submit a new request that is not an emergency. In case of an emergency call 911 if needed and then contact us after everyone is safe. Remember that we do not monitor emails after hours, so if you submit something considered an emergency online and do not call we may not know until the next business day.
Other Maintenance Notes:
If you'd like to inquire about, or update an existing request, submit the form at stoneoakmgmt.com/maintenance or call 512-617-6766 ext-5.
Maintenance time frames continue to be extended due to the pandemic. Please allow at least 5 business days before requesting an update from our team unless it is an emergency.
For basic DIY tips and tricks to solve some issues quickly, visit our DIY rental property maintenance page.
Your Tenant Portal & Electronic Statements
The system will generate a statement even if you're moving out, so there is no need to contact us if you receive this and are moving. All charges, including any prorated rent, will be adjusted as needed when the deposit is processed.
If you are not using the portal app that keeps you logged in please take a look at the linked flyer for more info. This can eliminate forgotten passwords, and help with easy updates/access to maintenance requests and all other account details.
AppFolio Tenant Portal Information